St. Louis Park, MN 55426
I build things. I build organizations, teams, software, products, companies. I am an award-winning, results-oriented, tech-savvy Program Director and Project Manager with experience in Web software product, program, and project management (full SDLC – concept to production), social media consulting, wireless networking, emerging technology strategy, software development, documentation and training.
· Turned around an $8.5M Web site program, created a PMO, obtained additional $5M funding, and led redesign and re-architecting effort that was given MHTA’s Tekne award in 2009 and was a finalist for the national American Technology Awards in 2010
· As CTO of startup Evalubase Research led redesign of Web site using AJAX
· As VP, Strategic Planning of VirtualFund, developed product plans, business plans, investor presentations, and strategy
· As an independent IT strategy consultant, created the eMarketplace strategy framework for Sterling Commerce
· Started Web development at ACNielsen in 1994, also increased charting productivity 29X by porting from mainframe to PC servers – system is still in use
· In 1993, created the first integrated data warehouse/decision support system for the CPG industry that won a shootout against Red Brick and Teradata
· Took over 9-year-old $8.5M/year Web site program, created a Project Management Office, and instituted best practice project management, content lifecycle, workflow management, and other program processes. Obtained $5M in additional funding for the program over five years
· CareerOneStop Website development program required a turnaround effort including:
· Instituted best practices set by the State PMO; set up MS Enterprise Portfolio Manager (Project Server and SharePoint); initiated training for staff in business analysis, UML, project management, usability concepts, and Web writing
· Wrote PM plans (risk management, configuration management, project management, and so on) and trained PMs
· Created and instituted a new end-to-end work process including work request/change management system and a content management lifecycle
· Provided the vision and led the architecture effort that integrated dotNET controls and Endeca search into the Tridion WCMS to enabled business-side users to easily repurpose Web applications (see Business Center URL, below)
· Managed multiple multimillion dollar projects
· Multi-phase redesign and re-architecting of CareerOneStop, including implementation of a content management system (Tridion), a site search engine (Endeca) that was given the Minnesota High Tech Association’s annual Tekne award in 2009.
· mySkills myFuture $2.5M (myskillsmyfuture.org)
· Business Center $1.7M (careeronestop.org/businesscenter/index.aspx)
· Credentials Center $2.7M (in process)
· Managed the Minnesota Social Media for Workforce pilot to explore the use of social technology for workforce development
· Implemented a User-Centered Design Program and trained staff
· Managed a user experience architecture services engagement involving six consulting firms that provided:
· Usability Testing and Recommendations
· Information Architecture
· User Interface Design
· Search Engine Marketing
· Section 508 Compliance
· User Centered Design Training
· Implemented Agile methodologies (Scrum) on appropriate projects
· Managed relationships with program managers of grantor – US Dept. of Labor
· 8/04 – 2/06 Ran Web (.NET/SQL Server) development for IT market research startup Evalubase Research as their CTO.
· Took over existing project to develop a Web-based survey application; handled transition from third party project manager
· Identified and led rewrite of several basic modules due to poor code construction
· Managed numerous point releases as well as doing requirements, design, and project management for a major release involving significant re-architecting using AJAX
· 2000-2001 Created the eMarketplace strategy framework for Sterling Commerce
· 2000-2001 Recommendations led to establishment of wireless practice, two email newsletters, a white paper series, and the first digital marketing efforts at Geneer Corporation
· Developed product plans, business plans, investor presentations, and strategy for early SaaS-based business-to-business electronic commerce offerings, including writing a product plan for Palm VII and other wireless devices.
· Communicated strategy to analysts, investors, and employees.
· Prepared investor briefings and presented at industry conferences.
· Served as interim VP of Product Marketing and managed the development of business requirements for flagship software/Web site.
1/15/85-9/24/99 Various positions
ACNielsen Company, Minneapolis, MN,
in Systems, Sales, Marketing, and Documentation departments.
· Created ACNielsen's Internet strategy, developed new Internet and intranet products, and managed project teams from concept to launch.
· Designed and built ACNielsen’s first eCommerce architecture
· Led a large cross-functional team (25 to 30 people) that developed Category Planner, a complex integrated application offering interactive database reporting over the Web.
· Result: Released ACNielsen’s fastest-growing Web product
· Conceived and led project team to develop an Internet report delivery service: NetDispatch.
· Part of cross-functional team to create the ACNielsen Corporate site and served as Webmaster in addition to other duties for two years.
· Managed onshore and offshore outsourced teams.
· Result: Released first ACNielsen corporate Web site in April 1995
· Designed and architected Windows NT-based Nielsen Application Server Architecture product, integrating existing technology from two sister divisions: Sales Technologies' Communications Server, and D&B Software's SmartStream
· Designed and led project to deliver BrokerNET, the industry's first report and chart delivery service via the World Wide Web in 1995
· Served on D&B Electronic Commerce Special Interest group in 1994-1995 and helped shape D&B's electronic commerce strategy
· Result: Released CPG industry’s first Web application in February 1995
· Established and managed project team to develop an ACNielsen integrated workstation and data warehouse product using RDBMS technology rights ACNielsen purchased (Time Machine).
· Result: An integrated analysis workstation/data warehouse product that won a shootout against Red Brick and Teradata
· Lead implementation of Automated LAN Production System project and that replaced a mainframe reporting and charting system.
· Result: ALPS System produced 6 million pages of customer report output a year and exhibited a twenty-nine-fold increase in productivity.
B. A. in Psychology, Duke University, Durham, NC 27706
Keane Productivity Management Training, Schaumburg, IL
Project Management Training, Snyder Consulting, Schaumburg, IL
Intensive nine-month training on project management techniques involving classroom instruction, hands on project management and mentoring.
Advanced Microsoft Enterprise Portfolio Manager/MS Project Training, Milestone Consulting, Eagan, MN
2011-2012 Wrote and published six books on social media:
· The Be a Person series:
· Enterprise Executive Edition – Paper bit.ly/BeAPersonE
· Small and Medium-Sized Executive Edition – Paper bit.ly/BeAPersonSMB
· The Social Operating Manual for Enterprises - Paper: bit.ly/BeAPersonEFull (430 pages)
· The Social Operating Manual for Churches, Non-Profits, and Charities - Paper: bit.ly/BeAPersonNPFull (426 pages)
5/96 Chapter Author, Special Edition: Using CGI, Dwight, Jeffry and Michael Erwin, eds., Que Corporation, Indianapolis, IN, ISBN 0-7897-0740-3.
11/96 Chapter Author, Platinum Edition Using HTML 3.2, Java 1.1, & CGI, Eric Ladd, Jim O'Donnell eds., Que Corporation, Indianapolis, IN, ISBN: 0-7897-0932-5.